According to The National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information, companies in the United States lose $100 billion a year due to alcohol and drug-related abuse by employees.
Alcohol and drug abuse by employees can cause numerous problems for business owners, ranging from workplace injuries, to productivity loss, and an increase in medical insurance claims. Furthermore, substance abuse among workers can impair job performance, threaten public safety, and pose a danger to their own health and well-being.
MedWay Onsite Health Solutions, Inc., a renowned provider of drug testing services in Arlington, Texas, highlights the workplace issues caused by substance abuse. We also highlight practical solutions that employers can use to address substance abuse in the workplace.
Workplace Issues Caused by Substance Abuse
In addition to absenteeism, workplace injuries, and productivity loss, other problems that may arise from employee substance abuse include:
- Sleeping on the job
- Poor decision making
- Higher turnover
- Poor attention and concentration
- Illegal activities at work (i.e. selling illicit substances to other employees)
How Employers Can Address Substance Abuse in the Workplace
Looking for ways to address substance abuse in the workplace? You can do so by:
- Reducing stigma in the workplace
- Implementing a strict drug-free workplace and other substance abuse policies
- Utilizing Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs) to help employees with substance abuse
- Providing health benefits that cover substance use disorders, including counseling and aftercare
- Educating employees about the productivity and health hazards of substance abuse in the workplace through company wellness and training programs
Substance abuse in the workplace can cause problems for businesses of all sizes. However, as an employer, there are certain things that you can do to prevent substance abuse and promote a healthier workplace.